Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"An Environmental Gem"

I am a little bit behind the reviews for this book, but Varmints by Helen Ward & Marc Craste is an amazing piece of children's literature. I only picked it up today and after several readings of this wonderful book I am hooked. The medium used by the illustrator are images developed from Adobe Photoshop. I am so taken with the messages in this book.

The idea that is conveyed allows the reader/viewer take a good look at themselves. How we impact the environment and the devastating effect that comes from urban development.

This book is a social commentary about the way in which the human race overtakes the environment for its own gain. I must say that I am guilty of taking forgranted the fact that I can touch, smell and see Mother Nature at her best whenever I want. I know I am guilty of using products that have come from reaping the environment. At least I am willing to admit it!

This picture book is a beautiful example of how to use the medium to inform the masses. Straight to the heart of the future. Children are the future. These messages I hope will reach the next generation; our children and our children's children. We need more picture books that get straight to the issues. Confronting as they have been suggested; these are the issues that will challenge humanity in the future.

Maybe we can start the conversation about the impact of urban development. What is the plan for the future? Do we have one? We are already seeing the consequences of overpopulation; no water; no home grown food; the cutting down of trees; the fishing out of our oceans. Dare I say more? What happens next?

Picture books like Varmints teach our children how to be one with nature; how to be conscious of the impact they have on the environment and learn from our mistakes!

Not being scared to give our children a confronting picture book is only the first stage to empowering them with knowledge; sustainability is inevitable!

Read it, I know you will love it!

"There was once only the sound of the bees and the wind in the wiry grass" - Varmints by Helen Ward & Marc Craste- 2007, Koala Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment