Wednesday, January 19, 2011

'The Utterance Of A Word'

It is interesting how the evolution of a single made-up word can creep into everyday language. Last year in class we were talking about this very subject; expressing how we thought some 'text language' would journey into our lives and make its mark on society.

Well, I was watching a little TV whilst enjoying my lunch, and an advertisement popped up, which entailed the very thing I hoped I would never see! Yes everyone, dare I say it; embed it in my life forever; allow it to be a part of my blog, indefinitely!

Well I must tell you that with protest, I reveal the 'word' or 'letters' that was strewn across the screen as 'LOL'.

I couldn't believe my eyes as I nearly choked on my salad sandwich. Some of you may think that this is just the evolution of language, but I do not. I guess that it may have a place in text messaging; allowing for emotion to creep into the very impersonal technology, but it doesn't have a place on our screens.
Are we to see in the near future all text language being used to advertise products or television programs? That all laughter in ads will be expressed via the letters 'L O L'?

Does it mean that to appeal to 'Gen Y', we have to abort proper language skills; distance ourselves from the importance of grammar, until we have one-on-one conversations that include these letters as real words?

We all know the power of the Media (including advertising) on how we perceive the world; especially for the young. What is considered 'cool' can be attributed to what we see on the TV and the internet.

Some may say this is progress. I think it's not giving 'Gen Y' the communication skills needed for their ever approaching adult lives.

One day we will be asking ourselves this question:
What happened to the sound of laughter?

No comments:

Post a Comment