Tuesday, January 18, 2011

'Short Stories Verses Novel Writing'

Although I have all these ideas for novels, I find myself thinking of short story topics instead of trying to develop my book. Lost in the world of short stories, I risk working on my novel ideas, which, if I do not put down on paper soon, I will go crazy.

Maybe these ideas haven't stop brewing yet. At the moment I am spending a great deal of time procrastinating (as we know I am a big procrastinator), rather than doing.

I like writing short stories and I am sure no matter what I write, it all contributes to my development as a writer. However, this can be annoying!
I sometimes think 'I get in my own way' hoping that the story I am working on will be perfect. I must learn to keep writing instead of thinking of the perfect story; or what I think is perfect!

My desk is full of notebooks that are consumed with ideas that one day may see the light of day; I just want to concentrate on one thing at a time!

I did say I wanted to treat my writing as a job so that I could make sure I would write something every day, but at the moment I don't have a quiet environment in which to work.

Obviously, short stories, is where my head is at this time and I need to follow it to see where it takes me.

Edward Young (English Poet 1683-1765) said:
'Procrastination is the thief of time'

No comments:

Post a Comment