Thursday, September 30, 2010

'My Writing Life'

Writing for me is like the air I breathe. I know that sounds like a cliche but it is true. My life seems to be evolving, it is taking a new direction. Unlike the continued published writer, I am developing and stretching my knowledge of the wordsmith in me.

The written words I find myself placing on a page make my life seem complete. It is not as if I have spent the first forty years of my life not writing but somehow I have been able to find my chosen vocation without even knowing it. Writing as a career is exciting especially when your writing gets recognised by your fellow peers.

It is a passion that I am willing to explore to the farther reaches of the imagination. I get lost in the worlds I choose to write about and I think I have found my strengths and my weaknesses. Enhancing the strengths and tweaking the weaknesses is my ultimate goal.

I spend some time picturing the aspects of my characters and enveloping myself in the scenery in which they are set. Almost like a film. It is clear to me that my dreams contain the answers to any problem that arises. I go to sleep and magically the solution appears. If I can visualize the next step, it becomes easier for me to continue.

I am unsure if this is how every writer works but creativity is the most valued possession an author can have. Without it we are not writers.

I think I have found what it is I am good a writing, however my style I guess is confronting at times. I like to explore how human inadequacies impact human existence. The 'taboo' can be invigorating but I am sure is not all readers taste.
I think there is a place in the world for pointing out our flaws, although tweaking them into a good story is harder.

I am a student of Uni but most of all I am a student of my mind and creative juices.
So I hope those juices keep flowing a river. One which holds a lot of fish!

No comments:

Post a Comment