Monday, March 14, 2011

'Editing'

Editing; what can I say about this subject? Well although it is interesting, I find it so time consuming and sometimes to be honest boring!

I am starting to think, maybe this wouldn't be the job for me! I do like to edit my own work, but I guess, if the authors work you are editing is somewhat not interesting, than it becomes mind-numbing!

I am editing a book at the moment for class that is actually quite a good book; however, it is not for the 8-12 year-old age range, that it is suppose to be for. It clearly is for a young adult to adult readership.
There is no sexual content but it is written in third person; viewing sometimes from the central protagonist, who is a mother of three. It is an historical based narrative that just doesn't fit into the world of an eight-year-old.

I have finished the chapters assigned to me, however I know I have probably missed a lot of mistakes. I do like how it is written, because it is the type of story I like to read! It's setting and historical content interest me; but if I am to edit it and keep in mind it is for an 8-12 audience, I just don't think it is possible.

The setting; the characters; the storyline I just don't think will appeal to this age range.

Anyway, I will continue forward and try to assume that if it was for this demographic, then it cannot possibly get published. As we know already it did not get published!

Editing; is a hard job and I think it needs to be a very special person who can do this for a living!

Maybe I need to gain more skills before determining its not for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment